[gull] Fwd: OOO Thu May 12th, "Data Management in the 21st century: the Petabyte Challenge" @ CERN Geneva - 17h30

Daniel Cordey dc at mjt.ch
Thu May 12 08:56:02 CEST 2005

Je sais que c'est un peu tard... mais pour ceux que ca interesse...

dc

---------------------------------------
"DATA MANAGEMENT IN THE 21ST CENTURY: THE PETABYTE CHALLENGE"
INVITATION OOO IT Tuesday, Thu May 12th @ CERN Geneva
---------------------------------------

>17h00 WELCOME  >17h30 CONFERENCE  >19h30 NETWORKING

Detailed program below or on:
http://www.rezonance.ch/rezo/classes/ft-first-tuesday/geneve/20050512

"640 Kilobytes is all the memory you will ever need" attributed to Bill
 Gates, Microsoft

A Petabyte is a million Gigabytes, the equivalent of over 200,000 DVDs. That
 may seem like an enormous amount of data, but managing such quantities of
 data is a reality in the world of science, and is increasingly becoming an
 imperative in the world of business. This IT First Tuesday @ CERN presents
 the Petabyte challenge, and some of the emerging solutions, from both
 scientific and commercial perspectives.

For CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a Grid solution has been chosen to
 provide the necessary distributed storage capacity for the anticipated 15
 Petabytes of data per year, this collider will produce. IBM is CERN's
 storage partner in the CERN openlab for DataGrid applications, and is
 testing the companies innovative TotalStorage SAN distributed filesystem in
 CERN's demanding IT environment. For Lausanne-based VisioWave, managing
 stored video data provides an extreme storage challenge. For Digitech
 International (ER Mapper France) of Paris, remote sensing by satellites and
 other airborne systems is producing huge data mountains for their customers,
 while at the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics, researchers are developing
 tools to tackle rapidly growing genomic and proteomic data mountains.

Through these presentations, the audience will gain a sense of the Petabyte
 challenge that lies just around the corner in a variety of fields, and the
 commercial opportunities that this challenge is opening up.

PANEL
Panel in English. Tous les intervenants parleront en anglais.

Invited by Francois Grey, IT Division, CERN

With

((( Sverre Jarp, Chief Technology Officer openlab for DataGrid Applications,
 CERN "The Data Challenge at CERN - Gearing up to manage 15 Petabytes a year
 from the LHC"

Sverre Jarp is in charge of DataGrid Application, which is a joint
 collaboration with leading industrial partners to assess cutting-edge
 information technology for the Large Hadron Collider's Computing Grid. He
 has been working in computing at CERN for over 30 years and has held various
 managerial and technical positions. http://www.cern.ch

((( Robert Haas,  Senior Researcher, IBM Zurich
"IBM's Storage Tank technology - dealing with storage in distributed
 environments"

Robert Haas is a networking expert with IBM Research since 1996 and he is now
 active in the field of storage networks. He contributed to the invention and
 implementation of advanced functions for the IBM Network Processor, and
 completed his PhD-work in 2003 at the Polytechnical School of Zurich on
 automated service deployment in programmable networks. He will present the
 storage research directions at IBM and focus on the architecture and
 performance of the IBM TotalStorage SANFS distributed filesystem.
 http://www.zurich.ibm.com/

((( Alain Retiere, Director UNOSAT & Principal Coordinator, UNITAR Space and
 IT Programme, CERN and
((( Serge Dedeystere, CEO, Digitech International (ER Mapper France)
"Satellite imagery and remote sensing - coping with Petabytes as a routine
 business"

Geospatial applications concern the sharing of several terabytes data for a
 wide range of purposes. For example, the humanitarian response to the Asian
 tsunami required the collection and broadcast of cartographic and satellite
 data. The new challenge for geospatial imagery is to manage bigger data,
 requiring increasingly complex processes, in the shortest time. The
 presentation will stress why and how geospatial imagery solutions should now
 target on use of distributed process and storage.
 http://unosat.web.cern.ch/unosat/
http://www.digit-int.com/

((( Yann Guyonvarc'h, President, VisioWave, Lausanne
"Digital Video Networking - how real time management of stored video is
 pushing the storage envelope"

VisioWave designs, produces and markets hardware and software products for
 digital video networking applied to the security market (Surveillance and
 CCTV) as well as for the media and entertainment market (Multimedia
 intranets, Interactive TV, Video learning). Yann Guyanovarc'h founded
 VisioWave in 1996 and received at the French senate the Awards of the 1998
 Andersen Consulting Entrepreneur Grand Prize for the VisioWave project and
 the 2004 Ernst and the 2004 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year finalist
 Award. http://www.visiowave.com/

((( Victor Jongeneel,  Vital-IT group leader, Swiss Institute of
 Bioinformatics, Lausanne "Storing, organizing and analyzing biological data:
 where is the problem?"

Victor Jongeneel obtained his Ph.D. in Microbiology and Immunology in 1980
 from the University of North Carolina. Since 1998, he is the Director of the
 Office of Information Technology of the Ludwig Institute for Cancer
 Research. He is also a Professor at the University of Lausanne's Medical
 School and a Lecturer at the Federal Polytechnic (EPFL).
 http://www.isb-sib.ch/projects/vitalit.htm

---------------------------------------
THANKS TO THE MAIN SPONSORS
---------------------------------------
UBS http://www.ubs.com
Vous cherchez une banque ?

SWISSCOM-FIXNET http://www.swisscom-fixnet.ch
Tout simplement au service des PME et des Start-up

VENTURELAB http://www.venturelab.ch
La formation des entrepreneurs

ADMISSION
Free admission, registration mandatory by clicking on "JE M'INSCRIS" on
http://www.rezonance.ch/rezo/classes/ft-first-tuesday/geneve/20050512/registe
r?community_id=767217

WARNING
For security reasons, please register before Thursday May 12th at noon. This
 IT Tuesday is free and but registration is compulsory for all, including
 CERN staff members.

This invitation must be presented at the CERN'S A entrance upon arrival.

The A entrance to CERN is the first one coming from Geneva's Route de Meyrin.
 For your information, this entrance closes at 19h30.

Entree libre et gratuite mais inscription obligatoire en cliquant sur >> JE
 M'INSCRIS sur le lien ci-dessous:
 http://www.rezonance.ch/rezo/classes/ft-first-tuesday/geneve/20050512/regist
er?community_id=767217

ATTENTION
Pour des raisons de securite, veuillez vous inscrire AVANT le jeudi 12 mai a
 midi. Ce IT Tuesday est libre et gratuit mais l'inscription est necessaire
 pour tous les participants, staff du CERN inclus.

Cette invitation doit etre presentee a l'entree A du CERN a votre arrivee.

L'entree A est la premiere entree en arrivant au CERN depuis Geneve par la
 route de Meyrin. Veuillez noter que cette entree ferme a 19h30.

---------------------------------------
THANKS TO THE EVENT PARTNER
---------------------------------------
Baumann - Jeanneret
https://www.baumann-jeanneret.ch/

---------------------------------------
TIMETABLE AND LOCATION
---------------------------------------

> 17h00 Welcome >17h30 Conference >19h30 Networking

Auditorium, batiment 500 @ CERN
Access via A entrance, Route de Meyrin, Geneva
HOW TO GET THERE: http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=Entrance+A
LOCATION OF THE BATIMENT 500:
 http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=500 FREE PARKING
BY BUS: number 9, CERN direction from Geneve-Cornavin
Stop: Les Pommeries (in front of the A entrance)

---------------------------------------
THANKS TO THE MEDIA PARTNERS
---------------------------------------
L'AGEFI http://www.agefi.com
L'HEBDO http://www.hebdo.ch
J:MAG http://www.j-mag.ch
RADIO LAC http://www.radiolac.ch
STARTFORYOU http://www.startforyou.com

---------------------------------------
FORWARD
---------------------------------------

This event is free and open to all. You are welcome to forward this
 invitation to anyone you know who may be interested in this event.

Thank you for your continued interest and support in these events. We look
 forward to seeing you on Thursday May 12th at 17h30.

Cet evenement est gratuit et ouvert a tous. N'hesitez pas a partager cette
 invitation.

Au plaisir de vous rencontrer le jeudi 12 mai a 17h30
Avec nos meilleures salutations

((( Francois Cochet, IT Division, CERN

et

((( Genevieve Morand, Rezonance.ch
People, Knowledge & Business Network
mailto:gmorand at rezonance.ch

Vous recevez ce message car vous vous etes inscrit sur rezonance.ch
Pour ne plus recevoir de message cliquez sur
http://www.rezonance.ch/unregister?email=dc@mjt.ch