[gull] RMS on RMS

Daniel Cordey dc at mjt.ch
Thu Apr 6 18:12:14 CEST 2006

Un peu d'humour (a la mode RMS), tire de :

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/04/unabridged-selective-transcript-of.html

Now people sometimes have accused me of having a holier than thou attitude. I
think that is not actually true. I don't criticise and condemn people just
because they don't stand up for free software strongly as I do. As long as
what they are doing is good, I will say what they are doing is good and I
might suggest somethings they could do.

However, I do have a holy attitude because I am a saint. It is my job to be
holy. I am saint iGNUcius of the church of Emacs. I bless your computer my
child. Emacs started out as a text editor which became a way of life for many
users because it could do almost everything without exiting Emacs. And
ultimately a religion. We even have a great schism between two rival versions
of Emacs. And now we have a saint too. Fortunately no gods. In this church,
instead of gods, we have an editor.

To be a member of the church of Emacs, you must recite the confession of the
faith. You must say, there is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its
kernels. The church of Emacs has certain advantages compared with some other
churches. To become a saint in the church of Emacs does not require celibacy.
However, it does require living a life of moral purity. You must exorcise the
evil proprietary operating systems that posses what ever of the computers
under your control and install in all of them a holy free operating system
instead. And then, only install free software on top of that. If you make
this commitment to live by it, then you too would be a saint and you may
eventually have a halo if you can find one because they don't make them any
more.

Sometimes, people ask me if it is a sin in the church of Emacs to use the
editor Vi. It is true that Vi-Vi-Vi is the editor of the beast. But using a
free version of Vi is not a sin but a penance. And sometimes, people ask me
if my halo is really an old computer disc. This is not a computer disc. It is
my halo. But it was a computer disc in a previous existence.

This talk was originally video taped by ourTV - a community TV channel in
Canberra but unfortunately, they were unable to get their project off the
ground because of lack of funds. You can watch the whole video here
(http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1647626314188526128&q=rms+GNU&pl=true)
(240 MB download).