[gull] hibernate: kernel vs userspace

Daniel Cordey dc at mjt.ch
Thu Jul 19 13:25:50 CEST 2007

On Thursday 19 July 2007, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> Merci pour toutes ces suggestions - en principe, moi, je mets les
> partitions "vitales" en premier et le swap en partition logique. Pour ce
> qui est de la vitesse, celle que j'obtient est acceptable.

C'est vrai, desole...

> Par contre personne ne semble pouvoir (vouloir?) répondre à la question de
> base que je posais: quelle différence (ou quel avantage) y a-t-il entre
> l'hibernation "kernel" et l'hibernation "user space"?

Mais si... google est ton ami :-)

"Also worth mentioning is uswsusp, abbreviation for userland-swsusp. It is an
implementation of an interface for software suspend in the user space. All
kernels starting from 2.6.17 have uswsusp merged in them. The module gives
access to software suspend functionalities by exposing common file operation
methods that can be used to operate on a character device. This is only
useful for developers who would like to write their software suspend
applications in user space and hence I won’t delve into this topic in detail
here."

References (lus en diagonales...) :

http://lwn.net/Articles/153203/
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/hibernate_linux