[gull] HSDPA USB device from Swisscom and Linux

Grossiord Yves yves.grossiord at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 24 00:39:28 CET 2008

Hello,

Le samedi 23 février 2008 à 10:51 +0100, Jean Pierre Rupp a écrit :
> Je suis desolé for speaking in English. I've only been in Geneva for a
> month, and I still don't have enough skills to write in French.

You are welcome anyway.

> I'm planning on buying a USB wireless modem from Swisscom, the one
> that's advertised everywhere in Geneva. It connects using GPRS, EDGE,
> UMTS and HSDPA technologies, so it's quite good on the road.
>
> The only concern is the compatibility with Linux, does it work with the
> serial USB or ACM drivers without problems on a recent distribution?.
> Anyone has been using it under Linux?.

I didn't try this one but the black one from Sunrise
T at ke Away (Novatel Ovation MC950). It worked under
Ubuntu and Fedora with just a little trick in the
config file of vwdial to send the PIN code to the SIM
card. Average bandwidth: between 60 and 100 kb/s, but
we don't move it a lot, it's to create a private wifi
network with internet access at work.

Swisscom seems to be using the modem Huawei E220. Google tells us that
it works on linux, especially with kernels
2.6.20 and greater, but there is a workaround anyway:
http://oozie.fm.interia.pl/pro/huawei-e220/

There is even a wikipedia page on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei_E220

Best regards, Yves.