[gull] HSDPA USB device from Swisscom and Linux

Grossiord Yves yves.grossiord at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 24 17:02:46 CET 2008

Hi,

Le dimanche 24 février 2008 à 08:49 +0100, Jean Pierre Rupp a écrit :
> Would you recommend Sunrise or Swisscom, which
> service you find it's the best in terms of price,
> speed and stability?

Basically, it has the same coverage as the mobile
network. I'm not a big user of mobile phones, so I
might not be of great help here. Swisscom is the
historic operator and is said to have best coverage.

Bandwith depends on the deployment of 3G equipments
by operators. As I said, we have a very static use.
Your mileage may vary. If it is just for mail reading
and a little of web surfing, I guess bandwidth is not
really a problem.

Swisscom has an interactive coverage map here:
http://www.swisscom-mobile.ch/scm/gek_mobile-unlimited_nutzung-fr.aspx
http://212.60.52.171/frame.php?site=swisscom_mobile&lang=en&resol=1024x768

In terms of price, we took the 10 CHF per month +
3.50 CHF per used day option (with unlimited bandwidth)
because there are five people connected to it 9 hours
per work day, but it's a very special case.

Le dimanche 24 février 2008 à 09:19 +0100, Jean Pierre Rupp a écrit :
> By the way, I forgot another important question.
> Does Swisscom or Sunrise assign public IPv4 addresses?.

It works the same as a modem or ADSL, you get a (DHCPed)
IPv4 address.

Did you mean a *fixed* public IP address ?
You could always use a dynamic-dns service.

Le dimanche 24 février 2008 à 09:23 +0100, magnus a écrit:
> I would also ask if the service is firewalled or not
> and if there are known limitation to the usage of the
> service.

IP traffic filtering is a hot topic right now. I've not seen any
limitations and we implemented forwarding/masquerading/fw rules
ourselves through firestarter. I didn't read the fine prints on
the EULA.

On some offers, there are some traffic limits but I guess there
are implemented through (very) expensive overcharge.

Best regards, Yves.