[linux-leman] Coup de main: 100 installs de Linux

Marc SCHAEFER schaefer at alphanet.ch
Tue Apr 15 19:18:50 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:57:20PM +0200, Erik Rossen wrote:
> Are you sure that you want to clone 100 PCs?  Would it not be easier to
> run them as X-terminals attached to a few servers?  I have installed
> LTSP (www.ltsp.org) a couple of times this way and it works quite well.
> Very economical.

Especially since Knoppix also includes a Terminal Server (kdm) mode.

Reading that there are no CD-ROM drives makes everything more difficult.
I did make some boot floppies in the past with support for image
copying through network, but it's painful, at least compared to
the CD-ROM versatile version (which can even contain the image
sometimes).

But if it's similar hardware I could do a floppy which would
install an image (or mke2fs + install a tar archive) from net.

An alternative would be to use FAI (on Debian), or kickstart (on
Red Hat), but they both either require a CD-ROM drive or a quite
complex server setup.