[gull] e-voting et la sécurité

Anne Possoz anne.possoz at epfl.ch
Thu Jul 24 21:36:01 CEST 2003

Quelques infos sur ce sujet qui nous occupe aussi.

Sur slashdot aujourd'hui, on en parle:
	Diebold Voting Systems Grossly Insecure

Several well-known security researchers have examined the code for Diebold's
voting machines (which we last mentioned two weeks ago) and produced an
extensive report (pdf). The NYT has a story on the report, which cuts to the
bone: 'Our analysis shows that this voting system is far below even the most
minimal security standards applicable in other contexts. We highlight several
issues including unauthorized privilege escalation, incorrect use of
cryptography, vulnerabilities to network threats, and poor software
development processes. For example, common voters, without any insider
privileges, can cast unlimited votes without being detected by any mechanisms
within the voting terminal.'

Aussi un article de la Electronic Frontier Foundation
	Security Researchers Discover Huge Flaws in E-Voting System
	Electronic Frontier Foundation Supports E-Voting Law
	http://www.eff.org/Activism/E-voting/20030723_eff_pr.php

Extraits:
"EFF supports electronic voting, but this report indicates Diebold's e-voting
system isn't ready for prime time," said EFF Legal Director Cindy Cohn, who
advised the security researchers. "This report describes how voters, election
officials, insiders at e-voting companies, and even custodians at election
locations could manipulate elections and defraud the public."

"Only with open review, vigorous security testing, and a voter verifiable
paper audit trail can the public have confidence that e-voting machines will
provide an actual accounting of the will of the people," said EFF Activist
Ren Bucholz. "We urge everyone who cares about democracy to support effective
e-voting legislation."

Au niveau du Gull, avons-nous une réunion prévue sur ce sujet?

					Anne