[gull] choice of distribution

Daniel Cordey dc at mjt.ch
Fri Jul 1 09:51:02 CEST 2005

On Friday 01 July 2005 09:30, magnus wrote:
> ... but I am a newbie... ;-) Could you help me ? Thanks !

My list of live-distros wasn't intented to be a direct answer to your
question :-)

Building a custom distribution is a fun exercise, but removing modules/drivers
is not a trivial task. It's not the question of : "How to...", but rather
(simply) : "What ?". Though, unless you have plenty of time and energy, don't
try to make a new 'custom' distro a-la-gentoo. Instead, opt for a 'squating'
attitude on some well known distros. Of course, it may fill your CD and take
one minute to boot, but it'll certainly easier to realize and make it work.

Of course, within these many live-distros, you could take them apart and get
many tips. For instance, the Gentoo distro is very slick and compact. If this
is the kind of functionality you are looking at, use this as your model but
don't be surprise if you bang on many hardware support problems. Or... don't
be too agressive when removing drivers and modules :-)

Before going any further, try to be more precise on what you don't currently
master.

dc