[gull] choice of distribution

magnus magnus at magooweb.com
Fri Jul 1 09:32:02 CEST 2005

Hello,

When you say game server you mean the machine to which all client games connects in
order to play with other clients over the LAN or internet?

If yes, I would say that ANY distribution would fit for creating a game server as
long as the etherenet network card is usable and the server software compiles on it
(even damn small linux :-) ).
In this case your needs are:
- a kernel with lots of network drivers,
- the binaries of the game server
- X (really if needed by the server)
- the needed (shared) libs to make all of the above run.
I see an issue with network config with "out-of-the-box" features. An idea would be
to have this machine acting as the dhcp server also so that client machines can
configure their network stuff dynamically.

If no, are you looking for a machine to play games on?

have a nice day,

Magnus

l'illustre Thierry de Coulon a dit un jour,

--
Magnus est un être humain à qui tu peux envoyer des emails.