[gull] Last phase of the desktop wars?

Laurent Franceschetti laurent at franceschetti.net
Sun Oct 4 12:15:56 CEST 2020

En effet! J’ai réagi sur LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/posts/lfranceschetti_last-phase-of-the-desktop-wars-activity-6718143336688979969-re0f>.

Je le reporte ici:

"Ahhh... lots of people made a hullaballoo about what Eric S. Raymond said about the Linux kernel being (plausibly) the future of Windows. In other words: Microsoft might ditch the Windows kernel.

First: I will vent off my frustration. PLEASE READ THE F...ING ORIGINAL TEXT, NOT SOME PARAPHRASE BY A JOURNALIST !

Now that this is out of the way, here is my two-bit about it.

Yes, of course. After all, Apple did the same thing with their own MacIntosh operating system, already two decades ago. The only difference, is that Steve Jobs had used the BSD flavor of Unix.

Basically, your Mac operating system, is a Unix system, and it's really convenient for everybody. That allows Apple to focus on what they are really interested in: the bottom part (the drivers and such they need to talk to the micropressors and peripherals); and the top part (the graphical user environment, i.e. the "Mac experience").

Microsoft developed their current kernel ("Windows New Technology", aka Windows NT) back in the early 1990s. Clearly that system has run its course. In the grand scheme of things, there is little point in maintaining it, so that Microsoft would remain the last of the Mohicans in a Unix world.

Nothing of the above relies on Microsoft's official announcements. But it does make sense. »

[Pardonnez mon éclat: j’en avais un peu assez de voir des gens citer des journaux au lieu de l’original. Les hyper-liens ont été inventés durant les années 1980 pour accéder aux documents originaux, pour ne plus avoir à passer par des journaux. On est en 2020, et l’habitude n’a toujours pas été prise, dans le grand public, d’aller à la source...]