[gull] Re: serial console BIOS

Erik Rossen rossen at freesurf.ch
Fri Feb 6 19:51:01 CET 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:28:18PM -0600, Michael Glasgow wrote:
> Erik Rossen wrote:
> > No, I did not find anything.  The only lead I found is that the BIOS
> > makers do not call the functionality a "serial console" - they call it a
> > "remote console".  Maybe that will help me (and you) when using search
> > engines.
>
> Perhaps, though I haven't had much luck yet.
>
> As far as add-on hardware goes, this looks promising:
>
> http://www.realweasel.com/

Cool product and a very cool (if gruesome) intro page.  It gives a new
meaning to "headless Linux box". :-)

But US$350?  Ouch.  I guess that would be OK for when I am installing
the servers of clients who have bought their own hardware, but after I
am done I would probably take out the card and reuse it.  It is just too
expensive to leave in.

> ...but like you, I'd prefer to just have the functionality included
> in the BIOS.  It's not like it should be a difficult thing to engineer.

Or replace the damn BIOS with LinuxBIOS.  In fact, I was kind of hoping
that some of the CERN readers of the GULL mailing list would say
something since some of them have experience in building computing
clusters.  No response so far.

--
Erik Rossen                          ^    OpenPGP key: 2935D0B9
rossen at freesurf.ch                  /e\   "Use GnuPG, see the