[gull] EU approves software patent changes

Mitch tentaal at yahoo.fr
Wed May 19 17:50:02 CEST 2004

 Lu sur
http://www.mandrakeclub.com/article.php?sid=2064

:
It is fully understood that the issue at hand is a
tremendous threat to Open Source, to the medium level
businesses and the economical welfare of us all. So I
definitely agree with all kinds of measurements
against software patentability like standing on the
toes of your political representatives, the press,
etc.

BUT:

The situation is not as serious as some people say.
Why?

2. If all runs bad and the council will vote in favour
of the draft, there is still the 2nd reading coming up
not before September. If the EU parliament will stick
to their vote of last year the whole thing will vanish
in the realms of the expert conferences, the mediator
meetings and such. In this case the issue may well
take many months or even years to be decided. We all
know that from experience, especially the
Germans in their political No-Go-situation.

3. EU parliament elections will take place on June 13,
and it is in our hands (the EU citizens) to give our
vote to parties and politicians known to have an
opinion on this issue - an opinion in our favour, of
course! So, the question whether the Parliament will
remain steady against the Council can be
answered by you, the voters!

I take the whole matter as serious as anybody else but
I don't panic!